Friday 26 October 2012

Comfort food


There is nothing better than eating comfort food in the winter months... well I think so anyway! It’s so nice to come in from the cold and darkness outside and sit down with a bowl or hot soup and crusty bread or stew and dumplings! So one meal I have made lately is sausages with smoky bacon and cider, served with creamy mash and it is a lovely comfort meal to have. Although I have only made this twice so far, it really is a favourite. Here is the recipe for this really yummy meal.



To serve 4
Ingredients
8 pork sausages
Olive oil
6 rashers of streaky smoked bacon (chopped)
I onion (halved and sliced)
1 tablespoon plain flour
450ml cider
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Handful of parsley (optional)
Mashed potato

Method



1.       Heat 1 tbsp oil in a casserole. Add the sausages and cook until browned all over. Then set aside.


2.      Add the bacon and onion to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Sprinkle over the flour and cook for 1 minute.


3.      Then stir in the cider. Simmer for 2 minutes and stir in the mustard.


4.      Add back the sausages. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until sauce has thickened. Then add the parsley and serve with mash.




It really is a very simple recipe and is great as you don’t need many ingredients. I don’t drink cider so I am not very familiar with the different types, so I just used Strongbow which tastes really nice but you can use whatever you like... I may try a darker cider another time to see how the taste differs.

What are your favourite meals in the winter? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments so feel free to leave one! I will try to respond to them and answer any questions you may have so make sure you check back for my response :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...